Douglas Park - Wilton
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Douglas Park - Wilton is 4,567, with a population density of 0.34 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Douglas Park - Wilton is bounded by the Nepean River and the localities of Razorback and Menangle in the north, the Nepean and Cataract Rivers, Cascade Creek and the locality of Cataract in the east, Wingecarribee Shire in the south, and the Nepean River in the west.
Douglas Park is named after Doctor Henry Grattan Douglass, surgeon and magistrate.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (136 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1811 when the first land grants were made. Land was used mainly for farming, including wheat, barley and vegetable growing. The township of Wilton was established in 1844. Growth was relatively minimal until the 1880s and early 1900s. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population generally increased from the mid 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area. Growth is expected in the future, largely from the Bingara Gorge development in Wilton.
Douglas Park - Wilton is a mainly rural area, with an urban centre in Douglas Park, and rapidly developing residential areas in Wilton.
Major features of the area include Sydney Skydiving Centre, St Marys Towers Retreat Centre & Monastery, Douglas Park Sportsground, Wilton Recreation Ground, Cataract River Ranch, Appin Mine and two schools.