Buxton - Couridjah
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Buxton - Couridjah is 2,282, with a population density of 1.99 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Buxton - Couridjah is bounded by the locality of Thirlmere, Slides Road and Nattai Street in the north, the locality of Tahmoor, East Street and the Bargo River in the east, Wingecarribee Shire in the south, and the locality of Lakesland in the west.
Buxton is named after a town in Derbyshire, England. Couridjah is named from an Aboriginal word meaning 'home of the white ants'.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (11 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1819 when the first land grant was made. Land was used mainly for farming and timber-cutting. Growth took place from the 1860s into the late 1800s, spurred by the opening of the railway line, with settlement developing around the railway station. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years, following the opening of coal mines in the nearby area. The population increased between 1991 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area. The population was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011, a result of fewer new dwellings being added and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Buxton - Couridjah is a mainly rural area, with an urban centre in Buxton, and rural-residential areas in Couridjah. Most of the rural area is used for farms and orchards.
Major features of the area include Nattai National Park and one school.