Bargo - Yanderra - Pheasants Nest
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Bargo - Yanderra - Pheasants Nest is 5,861, with a population density of 0.75 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Bargo - Yanderra - Pheasants Nest is bounded by the Bargo and Nepean Rivers in the north, the Nepean River in the east, Wingecarribee Shire and the Hume Highway in the south, and the Bargo River in the west.
Bargo is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "cripple" or "place of cliffs" or "thick scrub". It was previously known as West Bargo. Yanderra is named from an Aboriginal word for the turpentine tree. Pheasants Nest is named after a lyrebird (thought to be a pheasant) seen in the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (78 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1820 when the Great South Road was built. Several land grants were made in 1822, although growth was minimal due to poor soil. Some growth took place from 1919, especially in Bargo, aided by the opening of the two track railway line. Bargo became a retail and service centre from the 1930s to the 1960s, however, with the building of the Freeway bypass in the 1970s, population growth slowed. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s as new dwellings were added to the area.
Bargo - Yanderra - Pheasants Nest is a mainly rural area, with an urban centre in Bargo, and a smaller urban centre in Yanderra. Most of the rural land is used for farms and orchards.
Major features of the area include Dingo Sanctuary, Wirrimbirra Sanctuary, Bargo Sportsground, Berrico Playground, Tahmoor Lions Club Community Park and two schools.
Part of the locality of Bargo is located in the Wingecarribee Shire.