Whittlesea Township and Surrounds
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Whittlesea Township and Surrounds is 5,113, with a population density of 2.56 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Whittlesea Township and Surrounds is bounded by Clarks Road, Wallan Road, a line running east between Wallan Road and Wildwood Road, Wildwood Road, a line running between Wildwood Road and Yea Road, Yea Road and Humevale Road in the north, Scrubby Creek Road and a line running continuous of Scrubby Creek Road in the east, the locality of Yan Yean, Cades Road and a line running continuous of Cades Road in the south, and Barbers Creek and the locality of Eden Park in the west.
Whittlesea is named after the town of Whittlesey in England. It was originally known as Upper Plenty.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (20 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1837, with the town surveyed in 1853. Unsuccessful attempts were made to sell subdivided township land in the 1880s. Some population growth occurred in the southern area in the interwar period. During the post-war years the township gradually grew, particularly during the 1950s. Growth took place from the early 1990s, with the population doubling between 1996 and 2011 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area.
Whittlesea Township and Surrounds includes a township area and surrounding rural and rural-residential areas. The township is the major centre for the foothills of the Plenty Ranges.
Major features of the area include Funfields Theme Park, Whittlesea Park, Whittlesea Showgrounds and Recreation Reserve, Whittlesea Swim Centre, A.F. Walker Recreation Reserve, C. McDonald Reserve, Eagles Nest Park, Lions Club Park, Willow Park and several schools.
This small area encompasses the urban part of the locality of Whittlesea, and some surrounding areas. The northern-most parts of the locality of Whittlesea are included in the Rural Balance small area.