Wagga Wagga City
Occupation of employment
There are more professionals in Wagga Wagga City than any other occupation.
Wagga Wagga City's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Wagga Wagga City's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Wagga Wagga City - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||Regional NSW||Number||%||Regional NSW||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,866||16.5||15.2||4,447||15.9||15.4||+419||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,492||11.8||10.8||3,107||11.1||9.6||+385||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,748||12.7||13.0||3,634||13.0||12.9||+114||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,698||5.8||7.6||1,545||5.5||7.3||+153||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||29,481||100.0||100.0||27,884||100.0||100.0||+1,597|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Wagga Wagga City in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,531 people or 18.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (4,866 people or 16.5%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (3,748 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,145 people in total or 48.0% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, Regional NSW employed 17.5% in Professionals; 15.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Wagga Wagga City and Regional NSW were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (16.5% compared to 15.2%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (18.8% compared to 17.5%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.8% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Managers (11.9% compared to 13.4%)
The number of employed people in Wagga Wagga City increased by 1,597 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Wagga Wagga City were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+601 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+419 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+385 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+153 persons)