Fullarton Ward had a lower proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Unley in 2016.
The Age Structure of Fullarton Ward provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Fullarton Ward's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Fullarton Ward in 2016 compared to City of Unley shows that there was a similar proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 19.2% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 33.8% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 19.1% and 25.4% respectively for City of Unley.
The major differences between the age structure of Fullarton Ward and City of Unley were:
- A larger percentage of 'Elderly aged (85 and over)' (9.7% compared to 4.3%)
- A larger percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (12.6% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (8.9% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (17.4% compared to 19.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, Fullarton Ward's population increased by 1,144 people (19.7%). This represents an average annual population change of 3.66% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Elderly aged (85 and over) (+567 people)
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+503 people)
- Young workforce (25 to 34) (-206 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+203 people)