About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Black Forest is 1,987, with a population density of 28.69 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Black Forest is bounded by the Glenelg tramway in the north, East Avenue in the east, the Noarlunga railway line in the south and South Road in the west.
Black Forest is named for the deep shadow of dense foliage of the gum forest originally in the area.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (1 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1850 when land was first subdivided. Land was used mainly for farming, orcharding, grazing and dairying. Growth took place in the late 1800s, spurred by improved access. Significant development occurred in the early to mid 1900s. The population fluctuated slightly between 1991 and 2006, and then increased slightly between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Black Forest is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Forest Avenue Reserve, Princess Margaret Playground, Clarence Park Community Centre, the Emerson railway station and Black Forest Primary School.