Steventon Ward had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Tea Tree Gully in 2016.
The Age Structure of Steventon Ward provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Steventon Ward's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Steventon Ward in 2016 compared to City of Tea Tree Gully shows that there was a similar proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 21.6% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 26.5% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 21.3% and 24.4% respectively for City of Tea Tree Gully.
The major differences between the age structure of Steventon Ward and City of Tea Tree Gully were:
- A larger percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (12.1% compared to 10.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59)' (12.1% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24)' (7.7% compared to 8.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, Steventon Ward's population increased by 974 people (6.2%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.21% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+640 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+189 people)
- Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4) (+156 people)
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+128 people)