About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Korumburra is 4,344, with a population density of 0.73 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Korumburra is bounded by the localities of Loch, Poowong East and Ranceby in the north, the localities of Arawata and Kardella, Kardella Road, Stevens Road, the South Gippsland Highway, Old Leongatha Road, Hardwicks Road, Korumburra South Road and Wallace Road in the east, the locality of Korumburra South in the south, and the localities of Jumbunna and Whitelaw, Sullivan Road, Korumburra-Bena Road and the locality of Bena in the west.
Korumburra is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "blowfly".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (60 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1840s, with land used mainly for pastoral purposes. The township was established in the 1880s, spurred by coal discoveries. Growth took place from the 1890s into the early 1900s, largely due to black coal mining and the construction of the railway line. The last mine closed in 1958. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population has increased slightly since the mid 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area, particularly between 2006 and 2011.
Korumburra includes a township surrounded by rural hinterland. Rural land is used mainly for dairy, beef and snow pea farming.
Major features of the area include Coal Creek Community Park & Museum, South Gippsland Tourist Railway, Korumburra Golf Club, Gippsland Southern Health Service (Korumburra Hospital), Korumburra Recreation Reserve, Korumburra Showground, Anderson Reserve, Botanical Park, Coleman Park, Ivy O’Neill Park, Mine Reserve, Peterson Street Reserve, Korumburra Indoor Pool, Korumburra Outdoor Pool and a number of schools.