Albion Park - Rural West
About the area
Location and boundaries
Albion Park - Rural West is bounded by the Marshall Mount Creek in the north, the Macquarie Rivulet, Illawarra Regional Airport, the Frazers Creek and the locality of Croom in the east, the Municipality of Kiama in the south and Wingecarribee Shire in the west.
Albion Park is named after an original property in the area, which was thought to be named as a reminder of England.
2011 Usual residents
hectares (75 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1817 when the first land grant was made. Land was used mainly for beef and crop farming. Growth was minimal until the 1850s when the village of Albion Park was established. Expansion took place in the 1880s and 1890s, aided by dairy farming and coal mining. Growth continued in the early 1900s, when Albion Park became the dominant commercial centre of the City. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years. The population almost doubled during the 1990s, increasing from nearly 6,000 in 1991 to 11,000 in 2001. The population has continued to increase between 2001 and 2006, a result of new dwellings being added to the area. Population growth is expected to continue, particularly from the Tullimbah Village and Fields estates.
Albion Park - Rural West is a predominantly rural area which is becoming increasingly residential, particularly in the east.
Major features of the area include Macquarie Pass National Park, Calderwood Valley Golf Course, Tongarra Museum, Albion Park Village Shopping Centre, O'Keefe Park, Terry Reserve, Tongarra Reserve and five schools.
Albion Park - Rural West includes the suburbs and rural localities of Albion Park, Calderwood, Macquarie Pass, North Macquarie, Tongarra, Tullimbar and Yellow Rock.