About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Mundijong area is 1,839, with a population density of 0.41 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
The Mundijong area is bounded by the railway line, Bishop Road, Robertson Road and Norman Road in the north, the South Western Highway in the east, Feast Road, Wright Road, Hall Road and the Serpentine River in the south, and Kargotich Road in the west.
Mundijong is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word. It was originally known as Jarrahdale Junction.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (45 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the mid 1800s, with land used mainly for farming and timber getting. Some growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s, with the township of Mundijong established at the junction of two railway lines which opened in 1893. The population increased gradually between 1991 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area. Growth is expected to continue, particularly in the north-eastern section at Whitby.
The Mundijong area is mainly rural and rural-residential. Rural land is used largely for cattle grazing and equine activities.
Major features of the area include the Mundijong Town Centre, Watkins Road Nature Reserve, Mundijong Equine Training Track, Mundella Foods, Frank Lupino Memorial Park, Manjedal Brook Reserve, Mundijong Oval, Mundijong Railway Park, Pound Reserve, Shire Offices and two schools.
The Mundijong area encompasses the locality of Mundijong, the eastern part of the locality of Mardella, the western part of the locality of Whitby, and a small part of the locality of Cardup.