Rockhampton City and Depot Hill
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Rockhampton City and Depot Hill is 3,050, with a population density of 5.53 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Rockhampton City & Depot Hill is bounded by North Street and the Fitzroy River in the north, Gavial Creek in the east, Prospect Street, the locality of Port Curtis and the railway line in the south, and Saleyards Street, South Street and Murray Street in the west.
Rockhampton was named to describe the original settlement in the 1850s, where a series of rocks marked the furthest point upstream where ships could navigate the Fitzroy River, with "Hampton" being an English suffix, meaning "a place near water".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (6 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the mid 1850s. The township of Rockhampton was laid out in 1858, with growth during the 1860s and 1870s. Rockhampton developed as a service centre to the surrounding grazing, mining and farming industries. Growth continued from the 1880s into the early 1900s, aided by the construction of a bridge across the river, and port activities associated with mining at nearby Mount Morgan. Settlement was mainly south of the Fitzroy River, until the 1920s when growth moved northwards. Significant development occurred from the 1960s. The population declined slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Rockhampton City & Depot Hill is an established mixed use area, including residential, commercial and industrial land use.
Major features of the area include the Rockhampton Central Business District, City Centre Plaza, East Street Mall, Pilbeam Theatre, Rockhampton Art Gallery, Walter Reid Cultural Centre, Archer Park Rail Museum, City Band Hall, the Fitzroy River, Bartlem Oval, Brown Park, Central Park, Col Brown Park, Goss Park, Kingel Park, Lee Park, Leichhardt Park, Littler-cum-Ingham Park, Rosel Park, Toonooba Park, Riverbank Parklands and two schools.