About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Capalaba is 17,886, with a population density of 9.52 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Capalaba is bounded by Jones Road, Daveson Road and Valantine Road in the north, the suburb of Alexandra Hills, Alexandra Hills State High School, Metropolitan South Institute of TAFE, Coolnwynpin Creek and Redland Bay Road in the east, Duncan Road, Mount Cotton Road and Broadwater Road in the south, and Brisbane City, Tingalpa Creek and Tingalpa Reservoir in the west.
Capalaba is named from Aboriginal words meaning "place of the scrub or ring tailed possum".
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (19 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1853, with land used mainly for farming, grazing and timber-getting. Capalaba was a gateway to the northern parts of Redland City for many years and as a result shops, a hotel and other businesses were established for the passing traffic. Gradual growth took place during the late 1800s. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, particularly from the late 1960s, spurred by the construction of the Leslie Harrison Dam (Tingalpa Reservoir). Rapid growth took place during the 1970s and 1980s. The population continued to increase during the 1990s, although at a slower rate as fewer new dwellings were constructed. The population and dwelling stock were relatively stable between 2001 and 2011.
Capalaba is a residential area, with some industrial and commercial areas, and rural, rural-residential and bushland areas in the south.
Major features of the area include Capalaba Central Shopping Centre, Capalaba Park Shopping Centre, Capalaba Town Centre, Kos Village Shopping Centre, Capalaba Greyhound Racecourse, Redlands Baseball Club, Sam Sciacca Sportsground, Capalaba Regional Park, Coolnwynpin Nature Refuge, Keith Street Bushland Refuge, Redlands IndigiScapes Centre, Redland Art Gallery (Capalaba), Brosnan Drive Park, John Fredericks Park, Lawlor Reserve, Tauris Road Park, Wentworth Drive Park, Winter Memorial Park, Capalaba Hall, part of Tingalpa Reservoir and several schools.