Wagait Shire LGA
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Wagait Shire LGA is 427, with a population density of 0.75 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wagait Shire is located in the top end of the Northern Territory, about 10 kilometres west of the Darwin CBD. Wagait Shire is bounded by Beagle Gulf (the Timor Sea) in the north and east, and Unincorporated Northern Territory in the south and west. Wagait Shire includes two sections, divided by Charles Point Road.
Wagait Shire is named after Wagait Beach, which is thought to be named after the Wagait Tower built in the area during WWII. The municipality was known as the Cox Peninsula Community Government Council from 1995 until 2008.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (6 Km2)
persons per hectare
Traditionally, indigenous people lived in the area. European settlement dates from 1869, following the settlement of Darwin, with land used mainly for pastoral purposes. A military base and observation tower were established on the Cox Peninsula in 1941, following the bombing of Darwin. The most significant development occurred from the 1970s when the Wagait Residential Development was built. The population increased from the early 1990s, rising from under 100 people in 1991 to nearly 400 people in 2011.
Wagait Shire includes a small township and holiday area, with some undeveloped areas in the east and south. The Shire encompasses a total land area of about six square kilometres.
Wagait Shire is served by the Mandorah Ferry.
Major features of the Shire include Wagait Beach and Cox Country Club.
The original inhabitants of the Wagait Shire were the Larrakia Aboriginal people.
Wagait Shire includes the localities of Mandorah and Wagait Beach.