Service age groups
Elizabeth Grove had a lower proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Playford in 2016.
The Age Structure of Elizabeth Grove provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Elizabeth Grove's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Elizabeth Grove in 2016 compared to City of Playford shows that there was a similar proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 26.5% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 22.9% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 26.9% and 16.8% respectively for City of Playford.
The major differences between the age structure of Elizabeth Grove and City of Playford were:
- A larger percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (9.6% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (11.0% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (12.7% compared to 15.3%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24)' (8.3% compared to 10.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, Elizabeth Grove's population increased by 76 people (3.2%). This represents an average annual population change of 0.63% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+84 people)
- Seniors (70 to 84) (-52 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+51 people)