About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Smithfield is 2,400, with a population density of 11.87 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Smithfield is bounded by Curtis Road in the north, Main North Road in the east, a line south of the Smithfield Army Ordnance Depot in the south, and the Gawler railway line and a line running north bordering Connell Street and between Blackham Crescent and Moulds Crescent in the west.
Smithfield is named after John Smith, an early landowner in the area.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1847, with land used mainly for farming and wheat and hay growing. The township was established in the 1850s, with growth spurred by the opening of the railway line in 1857. The area developed as a service centre for the surrounding rural districts. Significant development occurred from the post-war years, particularly during the 1960s and 1970s. The population increased from the mid 1990s, with rapid growth between 2006 and 2011 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area.
Smithfield is a residential area, with a commercial area and some army use.
Major features of the area include Munno Para Shopping City, Smithfield Army Ordnance Depot, Harold Wissell Reserve, Playford Waters (Strathaird Park) and Smithfield Football Oval.