Penfield - Penfield Gardens - MacDonald Park
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Penfield - Penfield Gardens - MacDonald Park is 1,572, with a population density of 0.46 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Penfield - Penfield Gardens - MacDonald Park is bounded by the Gawler River, McGee Road and Curtis Road in the north, Andrews Road, Petherton Road and Stebonheath Road in the east, Bellchambers Road, Penfield Road, Heaslip Road and the Port Pirie railway in the south, and Taylor Road, Robert Road, King Road, Davoren Road and Carclew Road in the west.
Penfield is named after William Penfield, an early resident in the area.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (34 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1850s when the township of Penfield was established. Land was used mainly for grazing, crop growing and hay farming. In 1940 much of the original township was purchased by the Commonwealth Government to build an explosives and filling factory. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, and then was relatively stable between 2001 and 2011, a result of some new dwellings being added to the area, but a decline in dwelling occupancy rates and the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Penfield - Penfield Gardens - MacDonald Park is a predominantly rural area. Land is used largely for horticulture.
Major features of the area include the MacDonald Park Munitions Store and Carclew Cemetery.
This small area includes the localities of MacDonald Park, Penfield and Penfield Gardens, and a small part of the locality of Andrews Farm.