City of PlayfordCommunity profile
Skip to content

Elizabeth East

About the profile areas

The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Elizabeth East is 4,542, with a population density of 18.73 persons per hectare.

Location and boundaries

Elizabeth East is bounded by Yorktown Road, a line to the south of Olive Grove Reserve, Midway Road and a line to the south of Adam Creek in the north, an alignment running south between Chesterfield Walk and Cardnell Crescent, Blackburn Road and Shandon Court in the east and south, and Main North Road in the west.

Name origin

Elizabeth East s named for the area east of Elizabeth, which is named after Queen Elizabeth II.

Settlement history

Development of the area dates primarily from 1955, when the South Australian Housing Trust established a new town to accommodate the growth in immigration, population and industrial development. Rapid growth took place during the 1960s. The population declined slightly between 1991 and 2006, a result of little change in dwelling stock and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling. The population and dwelling stock were relatively stable between 2006 and 2011.

Land use

Elizabeth East is an established residential area.

Major features

Major features of the area include Elizabeth East Shopping Centre, Grenadier Reserve, Jubilee Park, Pipkin Reserve, Nautilus Reserve, Spruance Oval and one school.