Occupations of employment
There are more professionals in Northmead than any other occupation.
Northmead's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Northmead's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Occupation||Number||%||City of Parramatta||Number||%||City of Parramatta||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||336||11.3||12.5||305||14.1||13.4||+30||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||257||8.7||8.3||139||6.4||7.6||+117||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||522||17.6||17.3||406||18.7||17.9||+116||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||158||5.3||6.2||145||6.7||6.5||+12||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||2,965||100.0||100.0||2,168||100.0||100.0||+796|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Northmead in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (837 people or 28.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (522 people or 17.6%)
- Managers (367 people or 12.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,726 people in total or 58.2% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, the City of Parramatta employed 25.9% in Professionals; 17.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 10.6% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Northmead and the City of Parramatta were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (28.2% compared to 25.9%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Managers (12.4% compared to 10.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Labourers (5.5% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (11.3% compared to 12.5%)
The number of employed people in Northmead increased by 797 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Northmead were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+285 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+117 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+116 persons)
- Managers (+103 persons)