Unpaid domestic work
In Dundas Valley 22% of the population over 15 do more than 14 hours of housework each week.
There has been increased interest in identifying, acknowledging and valuing the unpaid work that supports home and community life. The changing amount of time spent on unpaid housework in different Household Types and, particularly the distribution of this work within the household, can indicate the changing roles of males, females and older children in society. The level of unpaid domestic work in Dundas Valley may also be related to Household Income, as higher income households are able to outsource some of these tasks.
Derived from the Census question:
'In the last week did the person spend time doing unpaid domestic work for their household?'
Persons aged 15 years and over.
|Unpaid domestic work|
|Hours spent on unpaid domestic work||Number||%||City of Parramatta||Number||%||City of Parramatta||2006 to 2011|
|Did unpaid domestic work||2,639||69.1||62.6||2,420||68.0||63.2||+219||10001|
|Less than 5 hours||867||22.7||21.1||759||21.3||21.2||+108||10002|
|Between 5 and 14 hours||941||24.6||22.6||871||24.5||22.3||+70||10003|
|Between 15 and 29 hours||462||12.1||10.1||425||11.9||10.2||+38||10004|
|30 hours or more||368||9.6||8.7||365||10.2||9.6||+3||10005|
|Did no unpaid domestic work||904||23.7||28.0||751||21.1||25.1||+153||10006|
|Total persons aged 15+||3,822||100.0||100.0||3,561||100.0||100.0||+261|
Analysis of the unpaid domestic work performed by the population in Dundas Valley in 2011 compared to the City of Parramatta shows that there was a higher proportion of persons who performed 15 hours or more of unpaid domestic work per week.
Overall, 21.7% of the population reported performing 15 hours or more of unpaid domestic work, compared with 18.9% for the City of Parramatta.
The major differences between the share of the population performing unpaid domestic work in Dundas Valley and the City of Parramatta were:
- A larger percentage of persons who did less than 5 hours of domestic work (69.1% compared to 62.6%)
- A larger percentage of persons who did between 15 and 29 hours of domestic work (24.6% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of persons who did 30 hours or more of domestic work (12.1% compared to 10.1%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who did no unpaid domestic work (23.7% compared to 28.0%)
The largest changes in the number of people performing unpaid domestic work in Dundas Valley, between 2006 and 2011 were those who:
- Did unpaid domestic work (+219 persons)
- Did no unpaid domestic work (+153 persons)
- Did less than 5 hours of domestic work (+108 persons)
- Did between 5 and 14 hours of domestic work (+70 persons)