About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Orange City is 42,356, with a population density of 1.49 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Orange City is located in the Central Tablelands of New South Wales, about 260 kilometres west of the Sydney CBD, and 270 kilometres north of the Canberra CBD. Orange City is bounded by the Cabonne Council area in the north, east, south-west and west, and Blayney Shire in the south-east.
Orange is named after Prince William of Orange (who later became King William I of the Netherlands).
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (284 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from 1823. Land was used mainly for farming, especially wheat growing. The township of Orange was established in the 1830s. Settlement was minimal until the 1850s, brought about by the discovery of gold and silver, lead and copper mining. Growth took place from the late 1870s, aided by the construction of the railway and the planting of many orchards. Growth continued in the early 1900s, reaching a population of about 7,700 in 1933. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, with the population doubling between 1946 and 1976, to nearly 30,000. From the 1970s settlement began to spread outward from the town, particularly in the north. From the 1980s population growth began to slow. The population of the City increased slightly during the 1990s, rising from about 33,000 in 1991 to over 35,000 in 2001. The population was relatively stable between 2001 and 2006, and then increased to over 38,000 in 2011.
Orange City is predominantly rural, with expanding residential areas, and some industrial and commercial land uses. Settlement is based in the urban centre of Orange, the villages of Lucknow and Spring Hill, and the smaller villages of Huntley, Shadforth and Spring Terrace. The City encompasses a total land area of about 290 square kilometres, of which 90% is rural land. Much of the rural area is used for forestry, mining, sheep and cattle grazing, crops, orchards and viticulture.
Orange City is served by the Mitchell Highway, the Western railway line and the Orange Aerodrome.
Major features of the City include the Orange City Centre, TAFE NSW Western Institute (Orange College and Orange Rural Skills Centre), Charles Sturt University (Orange Campus), Orange Health Service (Hospital), Orange Botanic Gardens, Cook Park, Robertson Park and Orange Adventure Playground.
The original inhabitants of the Orange area were the Wiradjuri Aboriginal people.
Orange City includes the localities of Canobolas (part), Clifton Grove (part), Emu Swamp (part), Guyong (part), Huntley, Lucknow, Millthorpe (part), Orange (part), Shadforth, Spring Creek, Spring Hill (part), Spring Terrace (part) and Springside (part).