Port Noarlunga South
Service age groups
Port Noarlunga South had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a similar proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Onkaparinga in 2016.
The Age Structure of Port Noarlunga South provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Port Noarlunga South's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Port Noarlunga South in 2016 compared to City of Onkaparinga shows that there was a lower proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a similar proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 21.4% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 23.4% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 22.5% and 23.6% respectively for City of Onkaparinga.
The major differences between the age structure of Port Noarlunga South and City of Onkaparinga were:
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (22.1% compared to 19.7%)
- A larger percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (14.0% compared to 12.4%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Elderly aged (85 and over)' (1.2% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (8.3% compared to 9.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, Port Noarlunga South's population increased by 144 people (5.5%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.08% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+82 people)
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+53 people)