About the profile areas
The 2011 population for Waratah is 4,691, with a population density of 24.96 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Waratah is bounded by the railway line in the north, Lake Road, Young Street, Turton Road and the suburbs of Georgetown and Broadmeadow in the east, Griffiths Road in the south, and Clarence Road, the suburb of Waratah West, Villa Road and Maud Street in the west.
Waratah is thought to be named after the abundance of waratah flowers once found in the area. It was previously known as Hanbury Village, North Waratah and Simpsons Folly.
2011 Usual residents
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1819 when the first land grant was made. Population was minimal until the 1850s, with growth spurred by coal mining and the opening of the railway station. Rapid residential and industrial growth took place during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Expansion continued during the post-war years. The population fluctuated slightly during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Waratah is an established residential area, with some industrial land use.
Major features of the area include Calvary Mater Newcastle Hospital, Hunter Genetics, Waratah Village (shopping centre), Cameron Park, Coolamin Road Reserve, Schroder Avenue Reserve, Waratah Park, Wrightson Reserve and numerous schools.