About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Glen Forrest is 3,042, with a population density of 2.32 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Glen Forrest is bounded by the Great Eastern Highway in the north, Marri Road, Strettle Road, Kenmore Road and Moola Road in the east, the Helena River in the south and a track through the Park Land, Nelson Road, the locality of Darlington, Brook Road, Newman Road and a line running north of Newman Road in the west.
Glen Forrest was named by combining the words "glen" (the nature of the topography) and "forrest" (after John Forrest, the first Premier of Western Australia). It was previously known as Amehurst and Smith's Mill.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (13 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1870s, when the main industry was timber milling. The township was established in 1902, with growth in the early 1900s. The most significant development occurred in the post-war years, particularly during the 1970s and 1980s. The population has been relatively stable since the early 1990s, generally a result of few new dwellings being added to the area and a decline in the average number of persons living in each dwelling.
Glen Forrest is a low density residential area, with significant parklands.
Major features of the area include Burkinshaw Park, Glen Forrest Conservation Area, Glen Forrest Recreation Ground, Glen Forrest Super Block, M J Morgan Reserve, Nan MacMillan Park, Springside Park, Thomas Park, Tillbrook Park, Quatre Saisons Heritage Rose Garden, Darlington Estate Winery, Glen Forrest Shopping Centre, the Railway Reserves Heritage Trail, Helena College and one other school.