Nairne and District
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for Nairne and District is 5,459, with a population density of 0.89 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Nairne & District is bounded by the Adelaide Hills Council area and Military Road in the north, Military Road, the Old Princes Highway and the locality of Kanmantoo in the east, the South Eastern Freeway in the south, and Bald Hills Road, the Old Princes Highway, the locality of Blakiston, William Road, Blakiston Road and the locality of Littlehampton in the west.
Nairne is named after the maiden name of the wife of Matthew Smillie, who founded the town.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (61 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1839, with land used mainly for grazing and wheat farming. Growth took place in the late 1800s, spurred by the arrival of the railway in 1883. Rapid development took place from the early 1990s, with the population almost doubling between 1991 and 2011 as large numbers of new dwellings were added to the area.
Nairne & District encompasses the township of Nairne and surrounding rural-residential areas.
Major features of the area include Nairne Golf Club, Country Fire Service State Training Centre, Beythorne Park, Matthew Smillie Reserve, Mick Murphy Park, Nairne Recreation Grounds, Howard Vineyard, Brukunga Hall, Nairne Creek and one school.
Nairne & District includes the localities of Brukunga, Dawesley and Nairne, and the District Council of Mount Barker parts of the localities of Hay Valley and Oakbank. Parts of the localities of Hay Valley and Oakbank are located in the Adelaide Hills Council area.