Hahndorf and District
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Hahndorf and District is 2,964, with a population density of 1.04 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Hahndorf & District is bounded by Onkaparinga Valley Road, the Adelaide Hills Council area, Balhannah Road and Birchmore Road in the north, Shady Grove Road, Windsor Avenue, Hogan Road, Nixon Road and Haines Fire Track in the east, Darby Road, Echunga Road, the locality of Echunga, Lubasch Road, Snelling Road, Kangaroo Reef Road, Camelhump Road, Sheoak Road and Sawmill Gully Road in the south, and the Adelaide Hills Council area in the west.
Hahndorf is named after Captain Dirk Hahn of the ship ‘Zebra', which brought German immigrants to the area. It was previously known as Ambleside.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (29 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1839 when a number of Prussian Lutheran families arrived in Hahndorf. Land was used mainly for farming and vineyards, with some mining. A number of original buildings from the mid to late 1800s survive in the town, which adds to its character and encourages tourism. The population increased slightly during the 1990s, was relatively stable between 2001 and 2006, and then increased again between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Hahndorf & District encompasses the township of Hahndorf and some rural-residential areas.
Major features of the area include the historic township of Hahndorf, Hahndorf Resort & Convention Centre, Hahndorf Academy, St Paul's and St Michael's Lutheran churches, The Cedars historic home, Hahndorf Cemetery, Hahndorf Farm Barn, Beerenberg Strawberry Farm, Carl Nitschke Memorial Park, Hahndorf Recreation Grounds, Pioneer Park, Yantaringa Reserve, several wineries and two schools.
Hahndorf & District includes the locality of Paechtown and the District Council of Mount Barker parts of the localities of Bridgewater, Hahndorf and Verdun. Parts of the localities of Bridgewater, Hahndorf and Verdun are located in the Adelaide Hills Council area.