Echunga and District
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Echunga and District is 1,672, with a population density of 0.20 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Echunga & District is bounded by Sawmill Gully Road, Sheoak Road, Camel Hump Road, Kangaroo Reef Road, Snelling Road, the locality of Hahndorf, Echunga Road and Darby Road in the north, Liebelt Summer Track, the locality of Mount Barker and Flaxely Road in the east, the locality of Flaxley, Hack Range Road, the locality of Meadows, Battunga Road and Razorback Road in the south, and the City of Onkaparinga and the Adelaide Hills Council area in the west.
Echunga is thought to be named from an Aboriginal word meaning "a short distance” or “close by".
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (84 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1839, with land used mainly for farming and orcharding. Jacob Hagen attempted to create a Quaker village at Echunga in the late 1840s. Although this was not successful, gold discoveries at nearby Chapman's Gully and Jupiter Creek in the 1850s and 1860s attracted significant numbers of new arrivals to the area. The population was relatively stable during the 1990s, and then increased slightly between 2001 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Echunga & District encompasses the small township of Echunga and surrounding rural-residential areas. Land is used mainly for grazing, orchards and vineyards.
Major features of the area include Echunga Golf Club, Echunga Recreation Ground, the Onkaparinga River, Jupiter Creek Goldfields, the Heysen Trail and one school.
Echunga & District includes the localities of Biggs Flat, Chapel Hill, Echunga and Jupiter Creek, and the District Council of Mount Barker parts of the localities of Bradbury, Dorset Vale and Mylor. Part of the localities of Bradbury, Dorset Vale and Mylor are located in the Adelaide Hills Council area.