Highest level of schooling
In Brunswick East 71% of people aged over 15 years have completed Year 12 schooling (or equivalent).
Brunswick East's school completion data is a useful indicator of socio-economic status. With other indicators, such as Proficiency in English, the data informs planners and decision-makers about people's ability to access services. Combined with Educational Qualifications it also allows assessment of the skill base of the population.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest level of secondary schooling completed|
|Brunswick East - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Level of schooling||Number||%||City of Moreland||Number||%||City of Moreland||2006 to 2011|
|Year 8 or below||618||7.3||10.0||6001||730||9.6||12.8||-112|
|Year 9 or equivalent||184||2.2||4.4||6002||224||2.9||5.3||-40|
|Year 10 or equivalent||466||5.5||9.3||6003||541||7.1||10.8||-76|
|Year 11 or equivalent||449||5.3||8.4||6004||460||6.0||9.6||-11|
|Year 12 or equivalent||5,937||70.5||56.6||6005||4,672||61.3||48.4||+1,265|
|Did not go to school||144||1.7||2.1||6006||198||2.6||2.4||-55|
|Total persons aged 15+||8,417||100.0||100.0||7,620||100.0||100.0||+797|
Analysis of the highest level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick East in 2011 compared to the City of Moreland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who had left school at an early level (Year 10 or less) and a higher proportion of people who completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Overall, 16.8% of the population left school at Year 10 or below, and 70.5% went on to complete Year 12 or equivalent, compared with 25.8% and 56.6% respectively for the City of Moreland.
The major differences between the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick East and the City of Moreland were:
- A larger percentage of persons who completed year 12 or equivalent (70.5% compared to 56.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 10 or equivalent (5.5% compared to 9.3%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 11 or equivalent (5.3% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 8 or below (7.3% compared to 10.0%)
The largest changes in the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick East, between 2006 and 2011 were:
- Year 12 or equivalent (+1,265 persons)
- Year 8 or below (-112 persons)
- Year 10 or equivalent (-76 persons)
- Did not go to school (-55 persons)