Highest level of schooling
In Brunswick 70% of people aged over 15 years have completed Year 12 schooling (or equivalent).
Brunswick's school completion data is a useful indicator of socio-economic status. With other indicators, such as Proficiency in English, the data informs planners and decision-makers about people's ability to access services. Combined with Educational Qualifications it also allows assessment of the skill base of the population.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest level of secondary schooling completed|
|Brunswick - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Level of schooling||Number||%||City of Moreland||Number||%||City of Moreland||2006 to 2011|
|Year 8 or below||1,314||6.8||10.0||6001||1,547||8.9||12.8||-233|
|Year 9 or equivalent||454||2.4||4.4||6002||548||3.1||5.3||-94|
|Year 10 or equivalent||1,040||5.4||9.3||6003||1,068||6.1||10.8||-28|
|Year 11 or equivalent||1,044||5.4||8.4||6004||1,142||6.5||9.6||-98|
|Year 12 or equivalent||13,398||69.7||56.6||6005||10,917||62.5||48.4||+2,481|
|Did not go to school||342||1.8||2.1||6006||424||2.4||2.4||-82|
|Total persons aged 15+||19,232||100.0||100.0||17,474||100.0||100.0||+1,758|
Analysis of the highest level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick in 2011 compared to the City of Moreland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who had left school at an early level (Year 10 or less) and a higher proportion of people who completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Overall, 16.4% of the population left school at Year 10 or below, and 69.7% went on to complete Year 12 or equivalent, compared with 25.8% and 56.6% respectively for the City of Moreland.
The major differences between the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick and the City of Moreland were:
- A larger percentage of persons who completed year 12 or equivalent (69.7% compared to 56.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 10 or equivalent (5.4% compared to 9.3%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 8 or below (6.8% compared to 10.0%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 11 or equivalent (5.4% compared to 8.4%)
The largest changes in the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick, between 2006 and 2011 were:
- Year 12 or equivalent (+2,481 persons)
- Year 8 or below (-233 persons)
- Year 11 or equivalent (-98 persons)
- Year 9 or equivalent (-94 persons)