Highest level of schooling
In Brunswick 70% of people aged over 15 years have completed Year 12 schooling (or equivalent).
Brunswick's school completion data is a useful indicator of socio-economic status. With other indicators, such as Proficiency in English, the data informs planners and decision-makers about people's ability to access services. Combined with Educational Qualifications it also allows assessment of the skill base of the population.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the highest year of primary or secondary school the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest level of secondary schooling completed|
|Level of schooling||Number||%||City of Moreland||Number||%||City of Moreland||2006 to 2011|
|Year 8 or below||1,316||6.8||10.0||6001||1,559||8.8||12.8||-243|
|Year 9 or equivalent||436||2.2||4.3||6002||520||2.9||5.2||-84|
|Year 10 or equivalent||1,013||5.2||9.2||6003||1,072||6.1||10.7||-60|
|Year 11 or equivalent||1,046||5.4||8.3||6004||1,135||6.4||9.6||-90|
|Year 12 or equivalent||13,588||70.0||56.6||6005||11,101||62.7||48.4||+2,487|
|Did not go to school||349||1.8||2.1||6006||420||2.4||2.4||-71|
|Total persons aged 15+||19,398||100.0||100.0||17,696||100.0||100.0||+1,703|
Analysis of the highest level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick in 2011 compared to the City of Moreland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who had left school at an early level (Year 10 or less) and a higher proportion of people who completed Year 12 or equivalent.
Overall, 16.1% of the population left school at Year 10 or below, and 70.0% went on to complete Year 12 or equivalent, compared with 25.7% and 56.6% respectively for the City of Moreland.
The major differences between the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick and the City of Moreland were:
- A larger percentage of persons who completed year 12 or equivalent (70.0% compared to 56.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 10 or equivalent (5.2% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 8 or below (6.8% compared to 10.0%)
- A smaller percentage of persons who completed year 11 or equivalent (5.4% compared to 8.3%)
The largest changes in the level of schooling attained by the population in Brunswick, between 2006 and 2011 were:
- Year 12 or equivalent (+2,487 persons)
- Year 8 or below (-243 persons)
- Year 11 or equivalent (-90 persons)
- Year 9 or equivalent (-84 persons)