Occupation of employment
There were more professionals in Brunswick in 2011 than any other occupation.
Brunswick's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Brunswick's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Brunswick - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||City of Moreland %||Number||%||City of Moreland %||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,055||8.6||12.3||986||9.4||12.7||+69||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,102||9.0||9.0||969||9.2||8.7||+133||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,691||13.8||15.4||1,483||14.1||16.5||+208||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||306||2.5||5.0||367||3.5||5.9||-61||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||12,295||100.0||100.0||10,492||100.0||100.0||+1,804|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Brunswick in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (4,868 people or 39.6%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,691 people or 13.8%)
- Managers (1,438 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 7,997 people in total or 65.0% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, the City of Moreland employed 28.9% in Professionals; 15.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 11.1% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Brunswick and the City of Moreland were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (39.6% compared to 28.9%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (8.6% compared to 12.3%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.5% compared to 5.0%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Labourers (5.2% compared to 7.3%)
The number of employed people in Brunswick increased by 1,803 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Brunswick were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,012 persons)
- Managers (+280 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+208 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+133 persons)