Shire of MorawaCommunity profile
census-message-logo

We’re continuing to update these pages with data from the 2016 Census. Read more about our updates.

Skip to content

Shire of Morawa

Households with children

census-message-logo

This topic has been updated with 2016 Census data for all areas. What's this?

There are 37 couples with young children in the Shire of Morawa in 2016, comprising 11% of households.

Households with Children require different services and facilities than other household types, and their needs change as both adults and children age. When many families in an area are at the same stage in their individual lifecycles, it creates a suburb lifecycle. Knowing where a suburb is in a cycle of change helps planners make evidence-based decisions about the demand for services both now and in the future.

For Households with Children in the Shire of Morawa, life stage is based on the age of children in the household. The age of the parent(s) is not taken into account.

  • Young children: Children aged under 15 only
  • Mixed age children: One or more children under 15 and one or more children over 15 (must have 2 or more children)
  • Older children: Children aged 15 and over only

To continue building the story, the Shire of Morawa's Household data should be viewed in conjunction with Household Size, Age Structure and Dwelling Type.

Derived from the Census question:

‘What is the person’s relationship (to each other person in the household)?’

Households

Households with children by life stage
Shire of Morawa - Households (Enumerated)20162011Change
Households with childrenNumber%Regional WA %Number%Regional WA %2011 to 2016
Couples with children6620.525.89127.827.3-25
Couples with young children3711.515.86419.617.0-27
Couples with mixed-age children154.73.8144.34.1+1
Couples with older children144.36.3134.06.1+1
Single parents with children3310.28.73410.48.8-1
Single parents with young children216.54.0257.64.4-4
Single parents with mixed-age children00.01.230.91.2-3
Single parents with older children123.73.561.83.2+6
Total households with children9930.734.512538.236.1-26

Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id , the population experts.

Households with children, 2016
Households with children, 2016 Single parents with older children, Regional WA: 3.5% Single parents with mixed-age children, Regional WA: 1.2% Single parents with young children, Regional WA: 4.0% Couples with older children, Regional WA: 6.3% Couples with mixed-age children, Regional WA: 3.8% Couples with young children, Regional WA: 15.8% Single parents with older children, Shire of Morawa: 3.7% Single parents with mixed-age children, Shire of Morawa: 0.0% Single parents with young children, Shire of Morawa: 6.5% Couples with older children, Shire of Morawa: 4.3% Couples with mixed-age children, Shire of Morawa: 4.7% Couples with young children, Shire of Morawa: 11.5%
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing, 2016 (Enumerated data)
Compiled and presented in profile.id by .id, the population experts.
Change in households with children, 2011 to 2016
Change in households with children, 2011 to 2016 Single parents with older children, Shire of Morawa: +6 Single parents with mixed-age children, Shire of Morawa: -3 Single parents with young children, Shire of Morawa: -4 Couples with older children, Shire of Morawa: +1 Couples with mixed-age children, Shire of Morawa: +1 Couples with young children, Shire of Morawa: -27
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing, 2011 and 2016 (Enumerated data)
Compiled and presented in profile.id by .id, the population experts.

Dominant groups

Analysis of the families with children in the Shire of Morawa in 2016 compared to Regional WA shows that there was a smaller proportion of couples with young children, as well as a smaller proportion of couples with older children.

Overall, 11.5% of total households with children were couple with young children, and 4.3% were couples with older children, compared with 15.8% and 6.3% respectively for Regional WA.

There were a larger proportion of single parent households with young children and a similar proportion of single parent households with older children. Overall, the proportion of single parent households with young children was 6.5% compared to 4.0% in Regional WA while the proportion of single parent households with older children was 3.7% compared to 3.5% in Regional WA.

Emerging groups

Between 2011 and 2016, the number of households with children decreased by 26 households or 20.8%.

There were no major differences between 2011 and 2016 in Shire of Morawa.

v17.12.12-1.0.0