Service age groups
Moonee Ponds had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Moonee Valley in 2016.
The Age Structure of Moonee Ponds provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Moonee Ponds's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Moonee Ponds in 2016 compared to City of Moonee Valley shows that there was a lower proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) as well as a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 18.6% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 19.8% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 20.0% and 21.1% respectively for City of Moonee Valley.
The major differences between the age structure of Moonee Ponds and City of Moonee Valley were:
- A larger percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (17.4% compared to 16.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (7.8% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Secondary schoolers (12 to 17)' (5.6% compared to 6.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, Moonee Ponds's population increased by 686 people (5.1%). This represents an average annual population change of 0.99% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Young workforce (25 to 34) (+192 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+180 people)
- Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59) (+141 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (-120 people)