Airport West - Essendon Fields
Service age groups
Airport West - Essendon Fields had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Moonee Valley in 2016.
The Age Structure of Airport West - Essendon Fields provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Airport West - Essendon Fields's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Airport West - Essendon Fields in 2016 compared to City of Moonee Valley shows that there was a lower proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 18.1% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 25.5% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 20.0% and 21.1% respectively for City of Moonee Valley.
The major differences between the age structure of Airport West - Essendon Fields and City of Moonee Valley were:
- A larger percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (12.2% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Tertiary education and independence (18 to 24)' (6.8% compared to 9.1%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Primary schoolers (5 to 11)' (6.6% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Secondary schoolers (12 to 17)' (5.2% compared to 6.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, Airport West - Essendon Fields's population increased by 600 people (8.6%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.67% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Young workforce (25 to 34) (+215 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+112 people)
- Elderly aged (85 and over) (+87 people)
- Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4) (+76 people)