Occupation of employment
There are more professionals in Ascot Vale than any other occupation.
Ascot Vale's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Ascot Vale's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Occupation||Number||%||City of Moonee Valley||Number||%||City of Moonee Valley||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||619||8.9||11.1||543||9.1||11.8||+76||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||661||9.5||8.6||554||9.3||8.4||+106||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,119||16.1||17.1||923||15.5||17.7||+196||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||199||2.9||3.9||249||4.2||4.6||-50||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||6,930||100.0||100.0||5,970||100.0||100.0||+959|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Ascot Vale in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,248 people or 32.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,119 people or 16.1%)
- Managers (1,010 people or 14.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 4,377 people in total or 63.2% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, the City of Moonee Valley employed 27.8% in Professionals; 17.1% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.9% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Ascot Vale and the City of Moonee Valley were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (32.4% compared to 27.8%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (8.9% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Sales Workers (7.7% compared to 9.6%)
The number of employed people in Ascot Vale increased by 960 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Ascot Vale were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+421 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+196 persons)
- Managers (+182 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+106 persons)