Occupation of employment
There are more professionals in Ascot Vale than any other occupation.
Ascot Vale's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Ascot Vale's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Ascot Vale - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||City of Moonee Valley||Number||%||City of Moonee Valley||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||625||9.1||11.1||541||9.3||11.9||+84||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||645||9.4||8.6||523||9.0||8.3||+122||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,102||16.1||17.2||916||15.7||17.7||+186||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||207||3.0||3.9||248||4.3||4.7||-41||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||6,840||100.0||100.0||5,841||100.0||100.0||+999|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Ascot Vale in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,210 people or 32.3%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,102 people or 16.1%)
- Managers (990 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 4,302 people in total or 62.9% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, the City of Moonee Valley employed 27.6% in Professionals; 17.2% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.7% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Ascot Vale and the City of Moonee Valley were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Professionals (32.3% compared to 27.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.1% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Sales Workers (7.8% compared to 9.6%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (16.1% compared to 17.2%)
The number of employed people in Ascot Vale increased by 999 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest changes in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Ascot Vale were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+427 persons)
- Managers (+189 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+186 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+122 persons)