Colonel Light Gardens
Service age groups
Colonel Light Gardens had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Mitcham in 2016.
The Age Structure of Colonel Light Gardens provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Colonel Light Gardens's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Colonel Light Gardens in 2016 compared to City of Mitcham shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 26.1% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 17.5% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 21.4% and 25.4% respectively for City of Mitcham.
The major differences between the age structure of Colonel Light Gardens and City of Mitcham were:
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (23.8% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of 'Primary schoolers (5 to 11)' (11.5% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (5.3% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (8.3% compared to 10.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, Colonel Light Gardens's population increased by 29 people (0.9%). This represents an average annual population change of 0.17% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4) (-93 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+52 people)