About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Mitcham is 1,872, with a population density of 9.93 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Mitcham is bounded by Haig Street, Birdwood Street and Hill Street in the north, Fullarton Road, Carrick Hill Drive, Brown Hill Creek Road and the locality of Brown Hill Creek in the east, the suburb of Belair in the south, and Parkers Road, Anderson Avenue, Old Belair Road, Blythewood Road, Muggs Hill Road, the suburb of Torrens Park, Princes Road and the suburb of Kingswood in the west.
Mitcham is named after a place in Surrey, England.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1840 when the village of Mitcham was established near Brown Hill Creek, being one of the oldest European settlements in South Australia. Land was used mainly for farming and timber-getting. Significant development did not occur until the early 1900s. Rapid growth took place from the 1920s through to the 1960s. The population and dwelling stock increased slightly from the mid 1990s.
Mitcham is an established residential area with some parklands.
Major features of the area include Scotch College Adelaide (Mitcham Campus), Mitcham General Cemetery, Randell Park, Mitcham Reserve, Anderson Avenue Reserve and McElligotts Reserve.