About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Belair is 4,508, with a population density of 3.01 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Belair is bounded by the suburbs of Lynton and Torrens Park, the southern edge of Randell Park and the localities of Brown Hill Creek and Crafers West in the north, Sheoak Road and the eastern edge of Belair National Park in the east, Upper Sturt Road in the south, and Laffers Road, Gratton Street, Neate Avenue, Gum Grove, Watiparinga Reserve and the railway line in the west.
Belair is thought to be named after Eugene Bellairs, an early land holder, or after Bel Air in Martinique, West Indies.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (15 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the 1840s, with land used mainly for farming, agistment, timber-cutting and health institutions. Land was dedicated for a recreational park in 1891, making Belair the first National Park in South Australia. Rapid residential development took place from the early 1900s into the 1940s. The population fluctuated slightly during the 1990s, declined marginally between 2001 and 2006, and then was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011.
Belair is a residential and national park area.
Major features of the area include Belair National Park, Playford Lake, Old Government House, Belair Park Country Club & Golf Course, Windy Point Recreation Park, Downer Avenue Reserve, Monalta Drive Playground, Sleeps Hill Quarry Reserve and two schools.
Part of the suburb of Belair is located in the Adelaide Hills Council area.