About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Bedford Park is 1,895, with a population density of 8.79 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Bedford Park is bounded by Main South Road in the north, Shepherds Hill Road, Bellevue Drive and a line running continuous of Bellevue Drive in the east, the suburb of Bellevue Heights in the south, and the Sturt River in the west.
Bedford Park is named after the Bedford family, friends of original land holders in the area.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the late 1830s, with land used mainly for farming, orcharding and market gardening. Significant development did not occur until the early 1900s. The Bedford Park Sanatorium for returned World War 1 soldiers was established in 1917 on the site now occupied by Flinders University. Rapid residential growth took place in the north during the 1930s and 1940s. Flinders University was opened in 1966. The population declined during the early 1990s and then was stable between 1996 and 2001. The population increased between 2001 and 2006, largely due to additional student housing (Deidre Jordan Village) built as part of Flinders University in the preceding years, and opened in 2004. The population was relatively stable between 2006 and 2011.
Bedford Park is a residential and institutional area.
Major features of the area include Flinders University, Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders Private Hospital, Burbank Reserve, Francis Street Reserve and Riverside Reserve.
Part of the suburb of Bedford Park is located in the City of Marion.