Service age groups
Kurunjang had a similar proportion of pre-schoolers and a higher proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Melton in 2016.
The Age Structure of Kurunjang provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Kurunjang's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Kurunjang in 2016 compared to City of Melton shows that there was a lower proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a higher proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 27.8% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 14.1% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 28.6% and 12.8% respectively for City of Melton.
The major differences between the age structure of Kurunjang and City of Melton were:
- A larger percentage of 'Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59)' (12.7% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (8.8% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (20.6% compared to 23.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, Kurunjang's population increased by 799 people (8.6%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.67% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+313 people)
- Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59) (+178 people)
- Seniors (70 to 84) (+143 people)
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+138 people)