Service age groups
Harkness had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than City of Melton in 2016.
The Age Structure of Harkness provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Harkness's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Harkness in 2016 compared to City of Melton shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 32.7% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 9.0% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 28.6% and 12.8% respectively for City of Melton.
The major differences between the age structure of Harkness and City of Melton were:
- A larger percentage of 'Young workforce (25 to 34)' (19.2% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of 'Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4)' (11.1% compared to 8.5%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (20.8% compared to 23.7%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59)' (8.5% compared to 10.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, Harkness's population increased by 3,269 people (58.9%). This represents an average annual population change of 9.7% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+639 people)
- Young workforce (25 to 34) (+586 people)
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+438 people)
- Babies and pre-schoolers (0 to 4) (+416 people)