About the profile areas
The 2011 population for Wahroonga is 12,446, with a population density of 15.38 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Wahroonga is bounded by Boundary Road in the north, generally by Lovers Jump Creek, Burns Road, Eastern Road, Chilton Parade, the railway line, Borambil Street, the Pacific Highway, Marshall Avenue and Roland Avenue in the east, the suburbs of Turramurra and North Turramurra and the Lane Cove River in the south, and Hornsby Shire and the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway in the west.
Wahroonga is named from an Aboriginal word meaning 'our home'.
2011 Usual residents
hectares (8 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1822. Land was used mainly for timber-getting, then for orchards and farms from the 1840s. Growth occurred from 1890, following the opening of the railway line, with the population quadrupling between 1895 and 1903. Expansion continued until the 1930s. Significant growth took place from 1959, with an influx of new residents to the area, many of them ex-servicemen. Growth continued in the 1960s, with more subdivision at the northern end of the suburb. The population fluctuated slightly between 1991 and 2006, and then increased between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area, particularly high density housing.
Wahroonga is a predominantly residential area, with some institutional land use and some commercial areas.
Major features of the area include Sydney Adventist Hospital (The SAN), Neringah Hospital, Lane Cove National Park, Fox Valley Village Shopping Centre, Wahroonga Village (shopping centre), Rose Seidler House, Bradley Reserve, Browns Field, Carrington Park, Clive Evatt Reserve, George Christie Playing Field, Lovers Jump Creek Reserve, Sir Robert Menzies Park, The Glade Reserve, Wahroonga Park, Knox Grammar School and numerous other schools.
Part of the suburb of Wahroonga is located in Hornsby Shire.