Occupation of employment
There are more professionals in Carlton than any other occupation.
Carlton's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Carlton's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Carlton - Total persons (Enumerated)||2011||2006||Change|
|Occupation||Number||%||Kogarah City||Number||%||Kogarah City||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||346||13.5||11.8||298||13.2||11.8||+48||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||232||9.0||8.3||185||8.2||7.8||+47||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||472||18.4||17.5||455||20.1||18.3||+18||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||150||5.9||4.5||134||5.9||4.8||+16||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||2,571||100.0||100.0||2,266||100.0||100.0||+305|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Carlton in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (596 people or 23.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (472 people or 18.4%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (346 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,414 people in total or 55.0% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, Kogarah City employed 26.3% in Professionals; 17.5% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 11.8% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Carlton and Kogarah City were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (13.5% compared to 11.8%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Labourers (8.1% compared to 6.7%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Professionals (23.2% compared to 26.3%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Managers (10.6% compared to 13.0%)
The number of employed people in Carlton increased by 305 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest change in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Carlton was for those employed as:
- Professionals (+141 persons)