2,451 people in Indigo Shire have a tertiary qualification.
Educational Qualifications relate to education outside of primary and secondary school and are one of the most important indicators of socio-economic status. With other data sources, such as Employment Status, Income and Occupation, Indigo Shire's Educational Qualifications help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of the area and identify skill gaps in the labour market.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the level of the highest qualification the person has completed?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Highest qualification achieved|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Regional VIC||Number||%||Regional VIC||2001 to 2006|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||1,623||13.9||10.5||5001||1,292||11.8||8.7||+331|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||828||7.1||6.2||5002||689||6.3||5.1||+139|
|Total persons aged 15+||11,701||100.0||100.0||10,977||100.0||100.0||+724|
Analysis of the qualifications of the population in Indigo Shire in 2006 compared to Regional VIC shows that there was a higher proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 41.3% of the population aged 15 and over held educational qualifications, and 45.9% had no qualifications, compared with 35.1% and 52.2% respectively for Regional VIC.
The major differences between qualifications held by the population of Indigo Shire and Regional VIC were:
- A larger percentage of persons with Bachelor or Higher degrees (13.9% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of persons with Vocational qualifications (20.3% compared to 18.5%)
- A smaller percentage of persons with No qualifications (45.9% compared to 52.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications of the population in Indigo Shire between 2001 and 2006 were in those with:
- Vocational qualifications (+497 persons)
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+331 persons)
- No qualifications (-294 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+139 persons)