Occupations of employment
There are more labourers in Broadmeadows than any other occupation.
Broadmeadows's occupation statistics quantify the occupations in which the residents work (which may be within the residing area or elsewhere). This will be influenced by the economic base and employment opportunities available in the area, education levels, and the working and social aspirations of the population. When viewed with other indicators, such as Educational Qualifications and Individual Income, Occupation is a key measure for evaluating Broadmeadows's socio-economic status and skill base.
Derived from the two Census questions:
'In the main job held last week, what was the person's occupation?' and 'What are the main tasks that the person himself/herself usually performs in that occupation?'
Persons aged 15 years and over
|Occupation of employment|
|Occupation||Number||%||Hume City||Number||%||Hume City||2006 to 2011|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||422||15.6||16.9||406||15.9||16.7||+16||15003|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||298||11.0||9.7||252||9.9||8.7||+46||15004|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||298||11.0||16.7||332||13.0||17.2||-34||15005|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||427||15.8||10.5||461||18.1||11.4||-34||15007|
|Total employed persons aged 15+||2,705||100.0||100.0||2,550||100.0||100.0||+155|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident population in Broadmeadows in 2011 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (503 people or 18.6%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (427 people or 15.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (422 people or 15.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,352 people in total or 50.0% of the employed resident population.
In comparison, Hume City employed 11.3% in Labourers; 10.5% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 16.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the population of Broadmeadows and Hume City were:
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Labourers (18.6% compared to 11.3%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (15.8% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of persons employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (11.0% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of persons employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (11.0% compared to 16.7%)
The number of employed people in Broadmeadows increased by 155 between 2006 and 2011.
The largest change in the occupations of residents between 2006 and 2011 in Broadmeadows was for those employed as:
- Professionals (+93 persons)