About the profile areas
The 2011 population for Normanhurst is 5,292, with a population density of 24.40 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Normanhurst is bounded by the suburb of Hornsby in the north, the suburb of Wahroonga in the east, Coups Creek and the Ku-ring-gai Council area in the south and the suburb of Thornleigh in the west.
Normanhurst is named after Norman Selfe, a civil engineer and early resident of the area. It was originally known as Hornsby.
2011 Usual residents
hectares (2 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1838 when the first land grant was made. Growth was minimal until the 1880s, following the opening of the railway line. Significant development occurred in the post-war period, particularly during the 1960s. The population increased slightly between 1996 and 2006 as new dwellings were added to the area, with relative stability in population and dwelling stock between 2006 and 2011.
Normanhurst is an established residential area.
Major features of the area include Charles Curtis Park, Davidson Park, Ferndale Park, Kenley Reserve, Normanhurst Park, Phillipa Oleary Park, Loreto Catholic College (Normanhurst Campus), Normanhurst Boys High School and one other school.