Service age groups
Newport had a higher proportion of pre-schoolers and a lower proportion of persons at post retirement age than Hobsons Bay City in 2016.
The Age Structure of Newport provides key insights into the level of demand for age based services and facilities such as child care. It is an indicator of Newport's residential role and function and how it is likely to change in the future.
Service age groups divide the population into age categories that reflect typical life-stages. They indicate the level of demand for services that target people at different stages in life and how that demand is changing.
Derived from the Census question:
'What is the person's date of birth or age?'
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the service age groups of Newport in 2016 compared to Hobsons Bay City shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (0 to 17 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (60+ years).
Overall, 24.3% of the population was aged between 0 and 17, and 14.6% were aged 60 years and over, compared with 21.5% and 20.0% respectively for Hobsons Bay City.
The major differences between the age structure of Newport and Hobsons Bay City were:
- A larger percentage of 'Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49)' (26.9% compared to 22.5%)
- A larger percentage of 'Primary schoolers (5 to 11)' (10.1% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Seniors (70 to 84)' (5.5% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of 'Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69)' (7.2% compared to 9.6%)
From 2011 to 2016, Newport's population increased by 1,037 people (8.8%). This represents an average annual population change of 1.7% per year over the period.
The largest changes in the age structure in this area between 2011 and 2016 were in the age groups:
- Primary schoolers (5 to 11) (+360 people)
- Parents and homebuilders (35 to 49) (+229 people)
- Empty nesters and retirees (60 to 69) (+222 people)
- Older workers and pre-retirees (50 to 59) (+177 people)