Williamstown North - The Rifle Range
About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Williamstown North - The Rifle Range is 4,485, with a population density of 10.21 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Williamstown North - The Rifle Range is bounded by the railway line in the north, the railway line, Kororoit Creek Road and Bayview Street in the east, Port Phillip Bay and Kororoit Creek in the south, and the railway line in the west.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from the mid 1800s, aided by the construction of the railway line in 1859. Growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s. Significant residential development occurred during the post-war years, spurred by industrial expansion and the opening of a migrant hostel. Rapid growth took place during the 1990s, with the population nearly trebling between 1991 and 2001, a result of the residential redevelopment of the former Rifle Range (Commonwealth land). Growth slowed considerably from 2001, with the population increasing slightly to 2011, a result of fewer new dwellings being added to the area.
Williamstown North - The Rifle Range is a residential and industrial area which has experienced significant recent growth.
Major features of the area include the Newport Rail Workshops, Victoria University (Newport Campus), Jawbone Conservation Reserve, Williamstown Cemetery, J T Gray Reserve, K C White Reserve, Quarry Reserve, R J Long Reserve, North Williamstown railway station and two schools.
This area includes the suburb of Williamstown North, the southern part of the suburb of Newport, and the western part of the suburb of Williamstown.