About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Williamstown is 11,267, with a population density of 28.11 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Williamstown in bounded by Yarra Street in the north, Port Phillip Bay in the east and south, and Bayview Street, Kororoit Creek Road and the railway line in the west.
Williamstown is named after King William IV.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (4 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1837 when the township was established. Williamstown soon became a major maritime centre for Melbourne, expanding considerably with the arrival of the railway from Melbourne in 1859. Residential and industrial growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s. The population has increased slightly since the early 1990s, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
Williamstown is an established residential and port area, with commercial areas along Ferguson Street, Douglas Parade and Nelson Street.
Major features of the area include the Williamstown port and marina areas, Williamstown Business District, Williamstown Hospital, Old Fort Gellibrand site, HMAS Castlemaine Maritime Museum Ship, Williamstown Beach, Williamstown Ferry Terminal, Williamstown Town Hall, Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park, Williamstown Botanic Gardens, Burbank Oval, Burgoyne Reserve, Commonwealth Reserve, Dennis Reserve, Fearon Reserve, Gray Reserve, Hatt Reserve, Jackson Reserve, L A Parker Reserve, Maclean Reserve, Robertson Reserve, Rotary Park, Williamstown and Williamstown Beach railway stations and several schools.
This area includes the eastern part of the suburb of Williamstown. This area excludes the Rifle Range development, which is located in the Williamstown North area.