About the profile areas
The 2015 Estimated Resident Population for Gunnedah (North) is 2,335, with a population density of 0.11 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
Gunnedah (North) is bounded by the Namoi River, the locality of Blue Vale and Kelvin Road in the north, the localities of Kelvin and Orange Grove, the Namoi River, the Oxley Highway, the locality of Carroll and the Mooki River in the east, the locality of Curlewis and the Oxley Highway in the south-east, the Kamilaroi Highway and the railway line in the south-west, and the locality of Emerald Hill in the north-west.
2015 ABS ERP
hectares (217 Km2)
persons per hectare
European settlement dates from the 1830s, with land used mainly for grazing. The townsite of Gunnedah was established in the 1850s, when wheat growing became an important industry. Growth took place during the late 1800s, spurred by the opening of the railway line in 1879 and nearby coal mining. Significant development occurred from the post-war years, particularly during the 1950s and 1960s. The population declined gradually between 1991 and 2006, and then increased between 2006 and 2011 as new dwellings were added to the area.
Gunnedah (North) includes township areas (with residential, commercial and industrial land use) and rural-residential and rural areas. Rural land is used largely for grain growing and grazing.
Major features of the area include the Gunnedah CBD, Creative Arts Centre, Plains of Plenty, The Civic Centre, Donnelly Playing Fields, Kitchener Park, Namoi River Flats, Talibah Park, Wolseley Park, Woolshed Reserve, Mullibah Lagoon, the Namoi River, Gunnedah Racecourse, Gunnedah Speedway, Gunnedah Greyhound Park, Gunnedah Saleyards, the Gunnedah railway station, Community College Northern Inland, Gunnedah Primary School, Carinya Christian School, St Mary’s College Gunnedah and St Xavier’s Primary School.
Gunnedah (North) encompasses the northern part of the locality of Gunnedah. The southern part of the locality of Gunnedah is located in the Gunnedah (South) small area.