North Gosford - Wyoming
About the profile areas
The 2016 Estimated Resident Population for North Gosford - Wyoming is 14,061, with a population density of 15.51 persons per hectare.
Location and boundaries
North Gosford - Wyoming is bounded by Berrys Head Road and the suburb of Lisarow in the north, the locality of Mount Elliot in the east, the suburb of Springfield and Etna Street in the south and the railway line in the west.
Wyoming is named after an early property in the area. Wyoming takes its name from an 1811 epic poem "Gertrude of Wyoming". Wyoming is believed to mean "wide, grassy plain" in the Delaware Indian language. North Gosford shares its name origin with Gosford, which is believed to have been named after the Archibald Acheson, 2nd Earl of Gosford (1776-1849), with whom N.S.W. Governor Gipps served in Canada.
2016 ABS ERP
hectares (9 Km2)
persons per hectare
Settlement of the area dates from 1824, when the first land grant was made to Frederick Hely. Timber getting, farming and cattle-raising were the early economic mainstays of the largely unpopulated area. Narara Creek, in early times, was navigable as far as Wyoming, where sawmills operated. Growth was minimal until the late 1880s, when the railway line opened. Significant development occurred during the post-war years, especially from the 1960s. Citrus farming was carried out at North Gosford into the early 1970s, when Landcom purchased remaining farms for housing. The population was relatively stable during the 1990s, declined slightly between 2001 and 2006, and then was relatively stable again between 2006 and 2011.
North Gosford - Wyoming is an established residential area, with some rural areas in the east and some industrial land use.
Major features of the area include Wyoming Shopping Centre, Gosford Private Hospital, Laycock Street Theatre, Alan Davidson Oval, Bradys Gully Park, Jarrett Street Playground, Maidens Brush Oval, Marangani Avenue Playground, Orange Parade Playground, Pangari Close Playground, Worrell Park, Wyoming Community Centre and several schools.